Saturday 1 July 2017

LAKE ELEMENTAITA 'TABLE MOUNTAIN' EXPLORE..



 I’m not a skilled climber by any means though I’ve been to a couple of manageable hikes that initiated me to the trail. However, it’s important to point out my love for nature. Travelling coupled with sight-seeing and adventure happens to be one of my fave past-time activities. My love for  adventure took me to the Table mountain explore in L.Elementaita through a hiking excursion powered by Hikemaniak. The 'Table mountain' as the locals call it, is a stand-alone hill located along the scarps of the Great Rift Valley in a small portion of a forest called Majimoto.


The trek started from the main Nairobi/Nakuru highway at the L.Elementaita main gate. Truth is, I’ve not been actively exercising save for my morning and evening walks and for the take-the-stairs-instead-of-the-lift advice. I have to admit that I was a bit anxious given the fact that I didn’t know the level of difficulty of the trail. To add salt to injury, I had a bad flu and my chest was weak because of the constant coughs.

Thirty minutes down the trail and I’m panting heavily. I’m not impressed by my stamina at this point. My buddies who happen to be extremely fit are well ahead of me by now. Guy A effortlessly walks past me while acting concerned. “Everything’s okay? Hope you’re coping with the trail". He beams. ”Good, Good," I quickly respond , but my panting betrays me. I trudge on, acting okay to save face. I manage to cover some few kilometres in an effort to keep pace. At this point, I feel my backpack getting heavier. It's not funny carrying some three litres of water plus some other luggage uphill. I trudge on faithfully. This is the point that I was  literally giving myself a  pep talk like "Becky, don't let me down!"


After some few meters walk uphill, I find some two other ladies resting. I join them and accompany them for the better part of the walk up hill having realised that we have similar stamina and pace. Lady A offers me some energy bar and Lady B offer me some glucose powder which she advised should be mixed with water and taken constantly in small portions as we walk. I follow her advice. Surprisingly, it works wonders!(Thanks ladies for helping a girl out).

Within no time, my energy is fully renewed and I eventually catch up with my other friends at the next stop. I'm with these fit ladies. I'll call them Subaru team B- Nesh, Wangui and Mary. Despite munching on the energy bars, I'm still struggling to maintain their pace. Nesh thinks the trail is manageable. Wangui asserts that Mutarakwa was way challenging than this. Mary remains silent but looking at her body language, she seems okay.



The trail proceeds to make a gentle slope which leads us to an expansive field and we push onward as we head towards the table mountain. I take advantage of the flat expansive grassy terrain walk to catch my breath. By the time we've approached the steep sledge up the 'Table mountain', I feel rejuvenated. We give it a go. The sledge up is a steep ascent  scattered with huge boulders of rocks. The sharp ascent is so dangerous and one miscalculation could cost you your life. I can still feel the nervousness climbing up the hill.


We conquer the trail and we're awarded with a breath taking view of the beautiful landscape of the Great Rift Valley including, the Lake Elementaita, Sleeping warrior, and the Aberdares among other stunning features.
To celebrate our triumph, we feast on our packed lunch. Satisfied, full and happy, I fall asleep high up in the blue skies.



For those who made it to the Table Hill, there is only one entry point which also serves as the exit, if you miss the exit you are trapped on top just like the maze game.Surprisingly, we were not aware of this crucial fact on our way up. This new revelation is unexpected considering we were not mentally prepared to tackle the steep sledge downhill. The way down is extremely precarious - we're literally crawling down the huge boulders of rocks while supporting ourselves with our hands and feet. We conquer the steep sledge and we're down at the foot of the table- safe, sound and pumped up!



Done with the hill, the  trek then  takes us through a gentle drop through Maji moto forest beat to a splendid hot springs that supplies water to the neighbouring communities. At this point, we get an opportunity to soak our feet in the  hot stream that has a healing effect on the skin. The soak is well-needed at this juncture given our weary feet. 


From the Maji moto springs, we trek down the village path. We can spot residential houses and small shopping centres as we trek towards the exit.  The afternoon sun is slowly setting. The walkways at the heart of the village look epic. The air is fresh and clean, birds are chirping and we can spot donkeys walking towards the stream. Children are playing in far off fields while some are herding cattle. The villagers stop to wave at us as we pass by.The ambience and idyllic scenery of the countryside is beyond breathtaking. How I wish I could be able to bottle up the aura of the countryside and bring it home with me.




Eight hrs, Thirty nine minutes, and two seconds later, we finish our adrenaline-filled trek.
If I could describe this trek in three words, it would be Fun. Connection and Adventure!

We take a couple of  celebratory pics and selfies  before we stretch out and  board our tour bus back to Nairobi.

I can't end this write up without appreciating everyone who made this  hike successful.
Special thanks to:
Gitonga Wandai, Team leader of Hikemaniak
Lewis Maina, the photographer.
Team F6  and the whole hikemaniak family!



You rock people!

Let's do this again because, Once is not enough!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the experience. It is truly inviting. I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete