Thursday 5 May 2016

I BELIEVE

This is my truth. Tell me yours
-Aneurin Bevan-

I believe
A daughter hearing the sad news of her dad's demise in a fatal car accident is tragedy, cracking your iPhone screen is not. Children not having the priviledge to have one meal in a day is an issue, going a day without lunch is not. Being born without limbs is a setback, suffering from a mild malaria flu is not. A family living everyday oblivous of what tomorrow might hold is doom, failure to seal that business deal is not.

I believe
The most beautiful woman in the room is the one full of God, life and character, not the one with a beautiful appearance and physique. 1 Peter 2:3-4 echoes the same and I quote; " 3.Your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as elaborate hairstyles or the wearing of gold, jewellery and fine clothes 4. Rather it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight". This verse is so simple, yet it convicted me deeply. Proverbs 31:30 echoes the same. What really stood out for me is the fact that inner beauty is unfading. Why then do we get caught up with our appearance? Most often than not, people value their looks alot, definetely more than their personality.
We often check in the mirror for stray hairs but don't look within for messy hearts and wasted potential.

I believe
Our prayers are heard even the ones that are composed of only tears. I've seen too many answered prayers to believe it is all coincidence. I've seen so many sunsets and sunrises, so many miracles to believe that there's a higher being. I believe in God. I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for you and me. There's no formular for understanding, we were not called to understand but believe! We are called to trust.

I believe
That success is just not about achieving your dream title and status but it's about living a well balanced life; emotionally, spiritually, physically, mentally and financially. Success is in finding the right balance. We should not loose ourselves, our family, friends and close acquintances in the quest of that status . 

I believe
There is always something to be thankful for. Amidst our ups and downs, our setbacks and comebacks, we can still choose to be thankful. We can still choose to see things from a different perspective. We can still choose to see the glass as half full instead of half empty. May we always be thankful for the nights that turned to day. For the friends who turned to family. For the dreams that turned to reality. For the battles we won on our knees. For the tests that turned to testimonies. For the mess that turned into a message, and for the trials that turned to triumphs. May we always stop and count our blessings.

I believe
The virtue of modesty isn't something that guides your dressing. It's more than what you wear. It's a lifestyle that permeates your conversations, your text messages, your posture and your mannerisms. It's not enough to be polite to your spouse and rude to the waiter. It's not enough to be helpful to your brother and mistreat your house help. It's not enough to be polite in the company of our church peers and to curse/swear in the company of our friends. Modesty is being empathetic of other people's feeling. Modesty is being caring rather than carefree. Modesty is in forgiving other than criticizing. Modesty is in loving other than fighting. Modesty is in building up other than breaking down. Modesty is in helping other than critcizing.

I believe
That our words and actions are of no substance unless they are out of love. My belief is that our purpose is to love one another and lead each other back to the cross. This is why we love, love; because it's what we were meant for. 1 Corinthians 14:13 states it clearly: "And now, these three things remain; Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is Love". God compells us to love one another because He is love.

I believe in dreams. Keep dreaming. Keep believing. Dreams come true.

Ps; Stay tuned for I BELIEVE part 2 coming up.

Sincerely Beccah.

10 comments: